Labor day is the unofficially recognized end of summer. Kids are headed back to school, last minute summer vacations are wrapping up and businesses are gearing up to get out of the August doldrums. For many, the cool winds of autumn are imminent and summer harvests will be giving way to the fall harvests. We can probably stretch the “end of summer” for another few weekends – So, what is a Foodie to do to truly enjoy the last bits of summer? COOK AND EAT, of course!
Since Foodie Bloggers work so hard (really we do!), Foodies Unite is all about highlighting 10 Fabulous Foodies that have given us some wonderful Labor Day and End of Summer inspiration …
1. Cooking with Caitlin – not only do they bring the fabulous #FNICHAT every Monday on twitter (next one is 9/12!) but they also have Gluten Free Cake Recipes for Labor Day - who needs a birthday to make an Orange-Berry Gluten-Free Chiffon Cake? Not US!
2. Foodista – Everything seems to carry the DIY label these days so an Ultimate DIY Barbecue Sauce makes total sense! No additives, preservatives – just all around barbecue goodness! Get the ribs ready!
3. Man in the Kitchen – Jeff Baker is one of the warmest Foodies out there – knowledgeable, fun to talk to and a GRILL Master. May we recommend the Macadamia Nut Encrusted Grilled Salmon? Oh yeah. And don’t forget the performance charcoal that is made with coconut shells!
4. Smitten Kitchen – Wondering what to do with all of those lovely and abundant summer zucchinis? Deb from Smitten Kitchen has the answer – Zucchini Fritters – like potato latkes without the potatoes. YUM!
5. Beloved Green – I have been in a fit of tomato love for the month of August and one of the best ways to use tomatoes IMO – Balsamic Tomato and Mozzarella – Caprese Salad. This has been a staple in my kitchen for weeks!
6. Cookin’ Canuck – Dara always seems to have the perfect recipe for the occasion at hand, as evidenced by her Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde recipe! Great as an appetizer or on top of some lovely tacos!
7. Honest Cooking – End of Summer and Deviling comes to us from Honest Cooking (one of my personal favorites for an online foodie mag) – does this sound scrumptious or what? End of Summer Deviling: Cress Eggs … oh yeah!
9. Daydreamer Desserts – End of summer means squeezing every bit of relaxation out of our time before the autumn and holiday whirl really begins. Daydreamer Desserts has just the accompaniment to relaxation – Peanut Buttery Shots with vanilla vodka, butterscotch schnapps and all kinds of other delightful ingredients! YUM!
10. The Intoxicologist – Labor Day should be Labor Free according to the Intoxicologist, Cheri Loughlin and we agree. Her recipes for Labor Day: Labor Free Two Ingredient Cocktails are just what the Intoxicologist ordered for celebrations!
However you choose to celebrate the end of summer – ENJOY!
And remember to stop by and say hello to some of the Fabulous Foodies!