I just started grilling again recently after several years of not having a grill and I am LOVING it! My recipes lately are driven by two things – the “Plenty” cookbook by Ottolenghi and the grill.
Being a confirmed omnivore means that meat plays a part in several meals a week but we have been working on the Meatless Monday concept here at the Hive – simply put, you make a commitment to go meatless one day a week. Easy! And YUMMY!
A favorite way to go meatless and satisfy some of those carnivore inclinations is a portobello burger. Perfect for the grill, portobello mushrooms mimic a juicy burger and stand up to all of the scrumptious toppings that you can think of: roasted peppers, mozzarella or swiss cheese, tomatoes, bean sprouts, pesto mayo, avocado – really anything that you put on a regular burger.
Pair it with a creamy coleslaw, sweet potato fries and there you are – MEATLESS for a whole meal and still tasty!
Get more information on Meatless Monday and follow the #MeatlessMonday hashtag on twitter!
How are you going to go Meatless today?
To Grill the Portobello Mushrooms
- Brush each mushroom with olive oil before grilling (you can do a marinade as well!)
- Place gill side down on a preheated gas, electric or charcoal grill over medium-high heat
- Grill 3 to 4 minutes per side
- Top each cap with cheese 2 minutes to melt before they are finished grilling
To Make Pesto Mayonnaise
- 1 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves (about 2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (good quality store bought, or homemade)
In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine the basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt, and pepper and puree, scraping down the sides as needed. With the machine running, add the oil through the feed tube and process until the mixture is thick and smooth. Add the Parmesan and process for 15 seconds.
Transfer to a bowl and add the mayonnaise, stirring to blend well. Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to serve. (The pesto mayonnaise will keep for 3 days refrigerated.)
Yield: 3/4 cup